The Balconies are a Toronto-based alt-pop group started in 2008 by Jacquie Neville and Liam Jaeger, who met at the University of Ottawa in 2005. Their influences include the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Duran Duran, and New Order. Their undeniable energy and artistic stage presence has been finely honed over the last seven years through touring relentlessly in Canada, the U.S., and Europe. Finally taking time to record their self-produced third release Rhonda, The Balconies worked closely with renowned producer/mixer Jon Drew (Arkells, Tokyo Police Club, Fucked Up) on mixing the album in Toronto.
Rhonda, set to release on October 14, 2016, explores a myriad of musical and thematic material that unites to tell the story of Rhonda, a fictional heroine. Her story of hope, artistry, self-discovery and exploration of what it means to be authentic in today’s highly saturated media industry will resonate with music lovers of all ages, as well as those who struggle for artistic expression.
The Balconies released their first self-titled EP in 2009, recorded and produced by Carlin Nicholson of Toronto band, Zeus. In 2011, the band released their Kill Count EP, produced by Jon Drew. The title track garnered widespread radio play and excitement across Canada.
The band has toured North America and Europe extensively, including festival dates at Junofest, SXSW, The Great Escape, Liverpool Soundcity, Reeperbahn, Canadian Music Week, NXNE, Ottawa Bluesfest, Culture Collide, CMJ, and Midem.
The Balconies released their debut full-length album Fast Motions in 2014 – produced by Juno award winner, Arnold Lanni (Our Lady Peace, Simple Plan, Finger Eleven). The release featured videos for their singles “Boys and Girls,” “The Slo,” “Do It In The Dark” and “Good and Ugly.” They spent 2014 touring in support of the album. The Balconies have toured with the likes of City and Colour, Arkells, Rival Sons, Cold War Kids, Devo, Bad Religion, Tokyo Police Club and Melissa Auf der Mar.
– Ten Canadian tours and performed extensively throughout Europe, the U.K and the U.S.
– Currently have partnerships and endorsement deals with Top Shop, Blundstone, FCUK, Gibson Guitars, Orange Amplifiers and Pistonhead Beer.
– The Balconies have seen their music placed in Toyota Commercials, NFL Pre-game show and MTV’s Teen Mom, Married to Jonas and The Real World.
– Nominated for Best Rock Band at the 2014 Sirius XM Indie Awards
– Guest stars on the CBC television drama Cracked
– Runner up in the 2010 Big Money Shot Radio Contest earning them $75,000